Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Baking with Julia - Berry Galette

Berry Galette © food-baby.blogspot.com All rights reserved

After making a delicious (but boring) apple pie last time, there was no way I was passing on berries again this week! I did have to resort to frozen berries but honestly they worked just fine.

This is one of those cases where the end result is far greater than the sum of it's parts. The galette is a simple, buttery pastry folded around mixed berries. That's it. 

I made only slight changes to the recipe, based on what I had in the pantry. That meant using semolina instead of cornmeal in the pastry. After reading the P & Q this week I decided not to add any water at all to my pastry. I used 3 heaped tablespoons of natural yoghurt (instead of sour cream) and the dough came together perfectly. I also added the zest of 1/2 an orange in with the berries and sugar which gave a lovely citrus perfume when it came out of the oven. 

The resulting galette was insanely good and seemed far more special than just pastry wrapped around frozen berries!

I was surprised by how small the galette was, and I think next time I would use the full batch of pastry with double the fruit.

Our hosts this week are Lisa of Tomato Thymes in the Kitchen and Andrea of The Kitchen Lioness. They will post the recipe under today's date so make sure you check it out. Like Dorie says, this recipe is a keeper!


12 comments:

  1. I loved this galette also! I wonder how the semolina tasted. Delicious looking galette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how this treated the ingredients simply, but the result was excellent.
    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of adding orange zest and not adding water was a good call. I had mixed results, but definetly worth trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange zest is a great addition. I agree, it was pretty small. I might have a difficult time rolling all of the dough (I'm dough challenged). But making two small galetts maybe one berry and one peach would be a fun option.
    This was a fun recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I really enjoyed making this. I also love that you added the orange zest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used Greek yogurt in the dough and used the full amount of water, too - worked out perfectly. I like that you substituted semolina for the cornmeal. It's good to use what you've got on hand. We made two small galettes, each with a different filling, and it made a nice snack for six of us. Definitely not enough for a dinner party dessert, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your galette looks delicious. I loved this recipe and will make it more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great choice with the semolina and orange zest. I wish I would have added the orange zest too! Blessings, Catherine www.praycookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. the "slightly changes" you made sounds delicious and your galette looks beautiful.
    We found them so delicious that I'll rebake soon.
    A keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the same and just added a touch of water and used yogurt. I think I wanted a bit more salt in my dough though. The semolina sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Orange zest sounds like a great addition! I thought mine needed a little something.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Questions or comments? I would love to hear from you ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...